The Cathedral District is a 36-block, 118-acre area around St. John’s Cathedral in Downtown Jacksonville. Anchored by five historic churches, it is currently being redeveloped into a leafy, green, vibrant neighborhood where a diverse array of residents can live, work, and play together.
The District extends north to south from State Street to Adams Street and east to west from Main Street to N. Liberty Street, the northeast quadrant of Downtown Jacksonville, FL.
The Cathedral District is led by Cathedral District Jax, Inc., (CDJ) a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization with a spectacular and highly-engaged board and staff! Learn more about them on our Leadership page here.
No, CDJ works with the public and private sector to facilitate the creation of housing and retail
Sometimes CDJ does purchase land, but we then look for a private sector developer to build on the site (mostly residential, which is our greatest need.)
We are operating from a Master Development Plan that shows the highest and best use of the land in the District. Your can view and download the whole plan here.
Yes! In December of 2019, the Cathedral District held its first event, Christmas in the Cathedral District. Attended by more than 1,000 people, it was a huge success.
A spring-themed event was planned for 2020, but had to be cancelled due to public health concerns arising from the coronavirus pandemic. There will be a 2020 Christmas event though – check our Facebook page and website for more details as they become available!
You can be part of the Cathedral District’s success story! Join us by making a donation here, or contact us to volunteer for events and special projects.
Cathedral District Jax, Inc., (CDJ) was designated as a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization in August of 2019.
Cathedral District-Jax, Inc. is an IRS 501(c)3 nonprofit organization and all donations are tax deductible. Make a donation here!
Search CDJ Site
Do you have questions that aren’t answered here? Give us a call at
904-536-8022 or send us a message – we love to talk about Jacksonville’s newest-oldest neighborhood!
- Thank you for Exploring Hogans Creek with Groundwork Jacksonville! January 31, 2023
- “Friends of Cathedral District-Jax Membership Event” January 27, 2023
- 2022 Christmas in the Cathedral District January 27, 2023
- “Friends of Cathedral District-Jax Membership Event” Behind the Scenes: The Bedell Building Tour January 27, 2023
- Preliminary plans for the 175-unit project on more than 2 acres is headed May 12 to the Downtown Development Review Board. May 11, 2022
- Christmas 2021 – Lighting of the Basilica December 28, 2021